Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Nora Mular-Richards

Nora, the bassoonist of the group has been playing the bassoon since I was first introduced to the instrument in grade 9. In a recent article, I wrote about how it found me and about my high school music teacher, John Drewniak. It was a wonderful to have the chance to pay tribute to someone who had such a positive impact on my musical life and subsequent career as a music teacher for 32 years.
After high school, when I managed to have a few lessons with Wayland Mosher, a very kind and talented musician, I had the privilege of studying privately with James McKay who was a member of the York Winds, wind quintet and professor at York University. He had a great influence on my playing and desire to constantly work on improving my playing skills.

Over the years, I have performed with nearly all the community orchestras in the GTA. Presently, I am a member of the North York Concert Orchestra where I hold the principal bassoon position. In addition to orchestral playing, I have enjoyed playing in chamber ensembles since high school. The Taffanel Wind Ensemble has been my chamber music focus for over 10 years and each summer,I also play with Otteto Prosciutto . We had our first rehearsal last Thursday. I have also played with the Elm Winds and Canzona which recently played Mozart's Gran Partita at the Arts and Letters Club's 100th anniversary celebration during Doors Open.

Music is a vocation and avocation which brings great joy and satisfaction to my days.

No comments: